Basic Purpose and Function: The Setup Mechanic I will prepare the equipment prior to the start of each job operation in accordance will all SUD’s and quality controls applicable to the operation, making adjustments for size and/or product as necessary. Support the Converting Department to meet or exceed expectations. Troubleshooting machines.
- Install tooling and converting machine equipment on machine per setup procedures
- Follow set up instructions for machine setup on each product that will be converted.
- Opens containers, using steel cutters, crowbar, claw hammer, or other hand tools
- Loads and unloads materials onto or from pallets, trays, racks, and shelves by hand and/or tooling
- Conveys materials to or from storage or work sites to designated area, using hand truck, electric dolly, or other devices
- Secures lifting attachments to materials and conveys load to destination, using hand-operated crane or hoist, or signals crane or hoisting operators to move load to destination
- Lifts heavy objects by hand or using power hoist, and cleans work area, machines, and equipment, using broom, rags, and cleaning compounds, to assist machine operators
- Makes simple adjustments or repairs, such as realigning belts or replacing rollers, using hand tools.
- May occasionally operate industrial truck (if certified) or electric hoist to assist in loading or moving materials and equipment
- Adjust machines and components to improve quality, using knobs, hand wheels, or hand tools
- Address machinery / equipment issues to help operators get back into production in a timely manner
- Loads, positions, and adjusts unprinted and printed materials on equipment
- Ensures the work conducted within the production area is performed in a safe and efficient manner
- Ensures adherence to all quality control processes and procedures and actively supports the company’s internal audit program
- Maintains daily time and materials usage reports by entering information into Setup time sheets
- Able to complete required paperwork for confirming machines make production parts that meet customer specifications
- Other production specific duties as needed
- Food Safety Compliance
- Basic mathematical skills
- Individual must be able to work independently with minimal guidance required.
- Individual must be able to interact effectively with a wide variety of people, capable of being able to handle multiple tasks.
- Consistently meets internal and external customer expectations through teamwork, respect and willingness to help and support others
- Takes initiative to continually improve performance and work process through feedback, problem solving and generating new ideas
- Listens to and follows instructions correctly
- Able to use and read a tape measure
- Demonstrates some mechanical and electrical aptitude as well as use of basic hand tools
- Demonstrates job related skills in verbal and written communication
- Accepts accountability and responsibility for one’s work
- Demonstrates high motivation and energy in working with a sense of urgency in critical situations
- Demonstrates good time management independent of supervision
- Must maintain timely and regular attendance per company policy
- Demonstrates flexibility to work varying hours and shifts, to include and Occasional to Frequent overtime
- Ability to effectively troubleshoot issues and get machines back into production quickly
- Lifting required up to 50 pounds; hoists are provided for most lifting or using 2-person lifting techniques
- Bending/Climbing Over/Under Machinery
- Standing up to 10 hours per day, walking, kneeling, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping
- This position is frequently required to use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms